“Jaime, I could really go for a piece of your avocado key lime tart right now”. That is her way of “requesting”….
This key lime tart is a perfectly refreshing & healthy dessert for anytime. It is that much more special for Mother’s Day as it is sweet & sassy….just like my mama.
And yes, you read that right. An AVOCADO key lime tart. I should also mention it is vegetarian, raw, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, wheat free, egg free, soy free…but FLAVOUR-FULL! Don’t believe me? You can ask my mom. She is a very honest woman ( dare I say brutally honest!), and she would be the first person to tell me when she doesn’t like something I made. She also has a major sweet-tooth, so she has a discerning palate when it comes to desserts.
She likes this tart. And I like that she likes this raw, organic key lime tart because it is healthy. That’s right. This dessert is healthy. It is loaded with health promoting ingredients such as pistachios & cashews, Medjool dates, coconut, raw honey, avocado & fresh lime. That’s it actually, I just listed all the ingredients, in less than one line. This would be the first sign that this dessert is a wise choice, as it is not loaded with a laundry list of unhealthy ingredients.
Even better, all of these ingredients serve a health purpose. Whether it is the heart healthy mono-unsaturated fats from the cashews & pistachios, or the gut-friendly fibre from the dates & coconut, or the immune supportive properties of the raw honey, or the hormone balancing functions of the creamy avocados, or the antioxidant rich juice & zest from the lime .You can feel good about the fact that you are giving your mom the gift of health wrapped up in something sweet & zesty.
This recipe is inspired by Julie Daniluk. I saw this being made on her show ” The Healthy Gourmet” a couple of years ago and I have been making it for my mom ever since. Make it for your mom this Mother’s Day. It is a perfect dessert after brunch, lunch or dinner. My favourite way to eat it is to serve up a few pieces of the key lime tart with a pot of freshly steeped mint leaves & spend a leisurely afternoon with my mom sipping tea & savouring the tart & the sweet time with my mom.
1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
1/2 cup cashews,raw, untoasted & unsalted
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled,raw, untoasted & unsalted
1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1 tsp vanilla powder
3 semi-firm avocados
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest, from an organic lime
1/2 cup raw honey
- Place the coconut, cashews, pistachios, & vanilla powder in a food processor. Blend until a coarse meal forms ( this will look like tiny pebbles)
- Add the dates and process until the mixture begins to stick together
- Carefully pour the crust ingredients into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate or spring-form pan and pat down the crust with your clean hands or spatula
- Place the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden
- Scoop the creamy avocado flesh into your cleaned food processor, add the honey, fresh lime juice & lime zest.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth out the creamy filling with a spatula
- Garnish with coconut & lime zest
- Place in fridge or freezer for 1 hr to let the filling set.
- Store in the freezer to keep the vibrant green colour. Remove from freezer 20 minutes before eating to thaw slightly before slicing & serving